How to Access Email Accounts Using Webmail?
What is Webmail?
Webmail applications enable you to check your e-mail accounts by using your web browser. You can compose and read e-mail messages, maintain an address book, and perform other common tasks.
The core idea of web mail is to be able to access email from any where and any time. You just need a web browser to access web mail.
Third-party e-mail client applications, such as Thunderbird and Microsoft Outlook Express, generally provide more features than webmail applications, but also require more initial configuration.
- To access any e-mail account, click Email Accounts in the Mail section of the cPanel home screen. Locate the e-mail account that you want to access, click More, and then click Access Webmail.
- Alternatively, you can use the URL http://www.yourdomain.com:2096, where yourdomain.com is your domain name, to access webmail. Then you do not have to log in to cPanel first but can instead go straight to the webmail login page.
- You should always use a URL that starts with https:// (the HTTP Secure protocol). This minimizes the possibility of someone intercepting the account’s login credentials or reading messages. However, for shared hosting accounts, your browser will display a warning message that the certificate does not match the domain name. As long as the certificate is from your server hostname (which it should be), you can disregard this warning.
After logging into webmail, you’ll be presented with three options.
Webmail Applications in cPanel
cPanel offers three web mail applications to choose.
- Squirrel Mail
These three options are different webmail clients that can be used for sending and reading email. They all show you the same email, but several different webmail applications are provided as a convenience.
All three applications have a different look and feel to the way they work, and some users prefer one over the other.
Squirrel Mail is the most basic application of the three, while Horde and RoundCube give you more tools to work with.
All these three webmail applications looks as below.
Squirrel Mail interface:
Horde web mail interface:
Check out demo of Horde Interface.
Roundcube web mail interface:
Learn more about Roundcube webmail project from their site
In webmail, there are a few more email features which you can manage from cPanel. The follow are the details.
- Email Forwarding – It automatically forward emails to another email address.
- Auto Responders – Are you going for a vacation? No worries, setup an auto respond to notify others when they email you that you are out of the office.
- Spam Assassin – If you’re having a problem with spam, start by setting up and configuring Spam Assassin.
We’re a world-class web hosting company based in India offering a range of hosting services, including shared web hosting, email hosting, cpanel hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting and dedicated servers.
Like this article? Please do check our comprehensive Email Hosting tutorials and how to's.